Salem was the first municipality in Sweden to implement Google Apps for Business. In November 2010 Avalon Solutions helped them move employees and students from a Microsoft-based environment. Avalon Solutions has continued to work closely with Salem as a trusted adviser for cloud strategy and change management.
In 2010 Salem was faced with the choice of upgrading their existing solution, which would have been very costly, or move to a cloud based solution. After extensive evaluation of available solutions on the market, Salem municipality chose Google Apps. This was a step well aligned with their strategic decision to exchange existing on premise applications and services with innovative, cost efficient cloud based services by 2015.
“We are a modern municipality. Cloud computing and Google Apps is an obvious choice. Google Apps platform not only gives us a reliable and cost effective solution for standard functionality such as email and calendar, but also web-based tools that allows us to streamline and modernize the way we work”
Tony Söderlund, IT manager at Salem
Life for Salem with Google Apps today:
Today the solution has proved to exceed expectations. Google Apps enables Salem municipality to collaborate in new ways, makes them more efficient and saves the organisation time and money. By choosing a cloud based service that is easy to manage, the IT department of Salem’s municipality can focus on developing and preparing the IT environment for the future. Google Apps has given them the control needed to make strategic decisions. And thanks to the new smart functionality and features that are added to Google Apps all the time, the service continues to be modern and innovative. A perfect fit for a modern, young inhabitant municipality as Salem.
Wins for Salem with Google Apps:
- Work as you live. Employees can access the same information from anywhere with any device. Same interface.
- Better collaboration.
- Access to web based tools that enables creativity and makes work easier.
- File sharing made simple
- No expensive upgrades or hardware
- Pay as you use license model
- Easy manageable
- Administrative tools that helps IT department to stay in control
- More time for IT department to spend on core business: To keep up with challenges, and plan strategically for the future instead of spending time on operations.